Not being experts on dating ourselves*, we figure we need to consult the source of our most valuable life-wisdom: Star Trek. (Sample: never beam down to the planet while wearing a red shirt!)
Wesley Crusher, for instance, the ST character in the tender teenage demographic, has a couple of alarming encounters with "young women" who are not what they seem to be. In fact, many a promising space romance has been cut brutally short by some groaner of a revelation. Picard, Riker, Kirk, Bev Crusher, Troi, Jake Sisco--just about every starfleet character with a smidge of libido has discovered that love can bring, shall we say, unexpected challenges.
As with so many things in life, a lot of these complications could be avoided with some careful screening beforehand. So here we present the "Wesley Crusher Pre-Date Quiz." All Rienstra children will be required to administer this quiz to all interested parties before anybody backs out the driveway.
- Are you now or have you ever been a being of pure energy?
- Are you a psychic projection, a transporter reflection, or a sophisticated hologram?
- Are you a shape-shifter? (this does not necessary disqualify you)
- Are you ferociously guarded by a shape shifter? (this does disqualify you)
- If we innocently kiss, will I be impregnated by your alien spawn?
- Do you reproduce in some unexpected way that you really should inform me of right now?
- Are you a symbiont being, and if so, do both your parts agree in their affection for me?
- Do you only like me because I'm the first thing you saw when you emerged from your maturity pod? (this doesn't necessarily disqualify you, either).
- Do you, in fact, exist at this point in the space-time continuum?
*By the way, not being dating experts and being Star Trek experts -- total coincidence!